THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Monday, December 20, 2010

Know your history: I don't know mine.

That seems a bit oxymoronic or hipocritical. It is, but for good reason. I don't know my history. I took history. I passed history. But I do not know my history. I've been taught by a severely biased system. I now have to proactively seek non-biased historical information. The problem is non-biased historical information is almost non-existent. There's archeological information, which is collected scientifically and therfore more objectively. Archeology is not what I'm talking about, though it wouldn't be a bad idea to look into that as well. Know your history. The history and background of your people. Why? Because although this is a natioin of many different races and cultures, its educational system and curriculum are based on one side of history's story: the caucasian side.

It's unfortunate, but true. Take for instance, my Ancient and Medieval World History class. I'm in college. This matters because colleges  are not required to follow the same state mandated curriculum as elementary and high schools. My "world" history class studied only Western Civilization. That's it. Europe, Greece, Rome, etc. Anything on Africa? Not really. Perhaps my professor might mention a little about North Africa, but only as it pertains to trade routes in the Mediterranian. Don't get me wrong. I had a great professor, but he had to follow a curriculum that did not include anything other than that Ancient and Medieval European side of history.

Just look at a syllabus or program from any elementary school. They're not teaching World History. They're teaching European history and calling it the world. It's not right I tell you. So, go out and search it.

Kwanzaa is coming up, and this is a good way or excuse to research your own background and see whats in there. No matter your culture, if it's not white, the whole story has probably not been told at your average American public school. In fact, perhaps throughout February and maybe even January, I'll post some interesting African-American history. Who knows if I'll have time, but we'll see.

Peace

0 comments: